Here you will find state and national tools, analyses and research related specifically to the Kinship/Guardianship provisions of the new Fostering Connections law. If you know of any resources that do not appear in our library, please send us an email at with the suggested resource, author and website URL for consideration.
Research & Reports
Research & Reports
- Child Welfare Outcomes 2003-2006: Report to Congress
Child Welfare Outcomes 2003–2006: Report to Congress is a report created by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (the Department) to meet requirements of section 203(a) of the Adoption and Safe Families Act of 1997 (ASFA).1 ASFA amended section 479A of the Social Security Act to require an annual report on State performance. Child Welfare Outcomes 1998 was the first report created in the Child Welfare Outcomes series of reports.
- "Green Book"- Child Welfare section
The U.S. House Ways and Means Committee "Green Book" section on child welfare includes information on federal programs dedicated to child welfare purposes, including program requirements, spending and characteristics of children served.
- Reasonable Efforts to Preserve or Reunify Families and Achieve Permanency for Children
A description of Reasonable Efforts as it applies to family reunification.
- New Help for Children Raised by Grandparents and Other Relatives: Questions and Answers About the Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act of 2008
This question and answer guide aims to ensure full and prompt implementation of the improvements in the Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act for children being raised by grandparents and other relatives.
- Strengthening Families Through Guardianship
This publication provides a brief overview of guardianship and why it is important as a permanency option for children in foster care
- Subsidized Guardianship: Testing the Generalizability of an Idea Whose Time Has Finally Come
This powerpoint presentation provides an overview of the results of Tennessee's subsidized guardianship waiver
- Child Welfare and Child Support: Working Together to Help Families
Published by the Administration for Children and Families, this document provides advice on how child support and child welfare agencies can work together to identify family resources for children at risk of or in foster care
- The Indian Extended Family and Its Relationship to Parenting
- Securing Child Safety, Well-being, and Permanency Through Placement Stability in Foster Care
Provides an overview of how to achieve successful placement stability within foster care.
- Key Considerations for Implementing the Notice Requirement of the Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act
This document outlines the components that are required by the federal Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act of 2008 (Fostering Connections Act) in order for a state or tribe to comply with the Notification of Relatives Provision (Section 103) of the law.